Runtime Verification, Inc is looking for a software engineer to work on our family of products. We are a start-up based in Urbana, Illinois, less than 15 walk minutes away from the Computer Science Department at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), which is in the top 5 schools in Computer Science in the United States and the top 1-2 schools in the domains of software engineering, formal methods and programming languages. We have been working for the past 5 years to develop innovative dynamic analysis tools based on leading research performed at UIUC and in the runtime verification community with the purpose of improving the reliability of safety-critical and mission-critical code. Our products include:
An ISO-compliant compiler for C and C++ capable of detecting a broad range of undefined and unspecified behavior in applications. Its use has discovered bugs in many software projects. It is based on an underlying technology capable of a variety of software analysis applications, including program verification, bounded model checking, and more.
A code instrumentation engine for C/C++ and Java which can be used to detect and debug race-conditions in a variety of software applications, regardless of whether the race condition actually occurs within the execution being instrumented.
A runtime-monitoring library for C/C++ and Java which can not only detect when your software system has entered into an undesirable state with a variety of formalisms for defining properties that must not be violated, but which can also take corrective actions to restore the correct state in a manner which can be found to be provably-correct using software verification systems.
If you are interested in working with us, we are looking for someone with the following skills:
- Work in a flexible environment with a very small team of engineers, in which you may be required from time to time to switch focus between several different projects.
- Develop code in C, C++, Java, OCAML, and a domain-specific programming language (K) which extends the functionality of code designed to detect software reliability issues.
- Analyze the performance of applications in order to reduce their runtime overhead.
- Work with formal methods techniques in order to develop tools which combine the boundaries of academic research with a firm foundation in usability and industry viability.
You will report directly to the lead software engineer, but we are seeking a candidate who can work relatively independently and demonstrate initiative and the ability to quickly gain experience in our core technologies. A candidate who does well on the job will have strong potential for advancement within the company.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years industry or graduate-level experience programming in an object-oriented language like C++ or Java, and a willingness to learn Java if necessary.
- Familiarity with writing code in a functional language like OCAML, and a willingness to learn OCAML if necessary.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of developing software on the Unix/Linux platform.
- Ability to work well with others and work where necessary and under the agreed-upon constraints.
- Candidates with an M.S. or Ph.D. in formal methods or programming language who can demonstrate their skill at development would be considered very valuable.
- Advanced knowledge of C/C++, or a candidate who demonstrates the ability to learn such skills, strongly desired.
- Industry experience developing in Java and OCAML preferred, but experience with another object-oriented and functional language is acceptable.
- Familiarity with multi-threaded code execution and memory models.
- Familiarity with optimizing and profiling the performance of applications.
- Knowledge of static analysis, dynamic analysis, program verification, or other formal tools for analysis of software reliability is a plus.
- Strong familiarity with writing and speaking in the English language desired, but fluent non-native speakers are acceptable.
- Office located in downtown Urbana, Illinois. A sufficiently strong candidate who can demonstrate their skill may be allowed to work primarily remotely from another location, however.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- Employees are encouraged to attend seminars and collaborate with research at UIUC where it is relevant to their interests and to our projects at the company.
- We are an equal opportunity employer who is willing to hire the right candidate regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability status.
Interested candidates can apply by emailing and including a resume and optional cover letter with the the "Careers" keyword in their subject.